My DIY Advent Calendar
I've had a few questions about our advent calendar, the most common one being, "What's in the bags?" So, here's how I made mine. I scoured the Internet and Pinterest for all things Advent Calendars. I was late in getting started on mine since it was Dec. 1, so I needed something quick, simple and cost effective. I decided on hanging paper bags with goodies in them on our little chalkboard wall that is between the kitchen and the mudroom/garage door.
whatever is going in the bags
This project to me about an hour from start to finish and here is the process...
First, I drew out the month of December on paper and filled in every day with what was going in each bag, so I didn't double up on something or forget something. Once I was satisfied, I cut little squares out of scrapbook paper so I could write little notes on them. I gathered all my goodies and started filling bags. Of course I could have made them cuter, but I didn't have time.
Of course we have to make them perfectly level...
Scary Photo Bomber!
Examples of goodies I put in the bag: Halloween candy, candy canes, animal crackers, fruit snacks, unopened Pez dispensers they got last year for Christmas, a couple of crafts from the $1 bin, stickers.
I tried to use what I had at home already and only picked up a couple of cheap goodies at the store for fillers.
Some examples of what I put in bags without treats; mostly they were notes for doing a Xmas craft, doing something as a family or doing something for someone else. Here are a few examples of what ours say.
- write letters to Santa
- make snowflakes to hang around the house
- watch Sound of Music as a family,
- go on a carriage ride
- gather unused toys and things and donate
- pass out teacher gifts
- bake cookies and hand out to neighbors (with a note clearly stating, " EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK. MADE BY LITTLE PEOPLE"
- watch Polar Express
- Drive around and look at lights
- sleep under the Xmas tree (this one may be a big hit. It will probably turn into, "hang out under the Xmas tree until mom and dad decide it's time to sleep in our own beds," in which case there will most likely be tears).
- make Xmas ornaments
- make Xmas cards and send out to family and friends
- (Xmas Eve) open 1 gift, our tradition
So, that's it! Simple and quick! Also, pleased that our Advent calendar doubles as a place to hang holiday cards, since I don't currently have a specific place for them it is perfect!!
Landry wanted in on the action...Holy Cow, Look at that mess!!! Landry, naughty...
Like I said, nothing special about these bags
Decorating their trees together